Getting back out there

My friend Tricia and I have been talking about ways to motivate our workouts. And we decided to come up with a workout challenge to keep us out there. After much discussion we decided on this:
3x strength training sessions of at least 30 minutes each week, in addition to our normal cardio workout routine.
For me this comes at the perfect time because 1) I always put a strength training 2) I just completed a half marathon and I don't have another one for a few weeks 3) I have already decided that my next half marathon, which is the Amica Seattle half marathon, I want to give it my absolute all in order to do that I cannot just rely on just cardio and I need to add a lot of strength training sessions. 
So in this challenge I can run as much as I want as long as I get at least 30 minutes three times a week of strength training in. Which doesn't sound like a lot but it's way way more than I have been doing. I average usually one strength training workout every two weeks and then I don't want to do it again because I'm so sore I can hardly move the next day. Which won't happen if I do it regularly several times a week yesterday crazy sore at first but then I'll just be a tiny bit sore after a while.
She kind of excited to see what progress I can make before November 30. There are some strength training exercises I've been wanting to try it now is the perfect opportunity! 
I follow #squatadvice on Instagram and they post a lot of really awesome leg workouts. This is the link to their Instagram feed.
Gym_videos, also on Instagram, is another workout advice stream that I enjoy. http://instagram.com/gym_videos
Time to get stronger!
On a very handy note, I just found this new piece of workout equipment that all of us outdoors workout people would love to have. It's called the Undress. But the undressed does is it allows you to change your clothes in public without ever being naked. It allows full modesty and ease of movement. 
This is definitely on my Christmas wish list! This be so handy after my races! And I know I'm not alone.
Today I decided to do a test of before Sunday's Get Your Rear in Gear 5k. I can't remember the last time I did a timed 5k, so I thought I would try it out and see where I stood, so that I am not completely shocked on Sunday! 

I did alright! I clocked in at 29:02, which is about 45 seconds faster than any previously timed 5k! So I am now looking forward to Sunday to see if I can beat that time!
I am starting today with the Strength Training challenge that Tricia and I have set up. I will be doing Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weights 30 minute workout. 
(Update: Just did this workout, great workout but on the first try, after a 5k run, I was able to do the advanced moves. Will be trying a harder workout for my next 3 x 30 challenge workout!)
I will also be trying out my new Brooks Ravenna shoes workout shoes for the strength training! Which I am pretty excited about!
Well I better get to it! 

Keep on Running!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Nuun All Day!

One does not simply sit on the toilet after leg day