World of virtual racing!

So for a couple years I have slowly watched the world of virtual racing grow and grow. If you don't know what a virtual race is, it's simple. The race host puts up a website that you go to and sign up, you pay a nominal fee, then run said distance you signed up for, record your time, post you time on the website and see your standings. These races can range from getting a free printable bib to the much more eccentric races, like the ones I am about to tell you about.

So despite my doubts and wonder of how this could be enjoyable, so I decided to give it a try anyway!

I am signed up for two virtual races! Don't ask me how that happened because I am not exactly sure... So I started looking into a virtual race company that one of my mega marathoner friends posts about every once in a while on Facebook. I thought "If he likes this stuff and he travels the world to run, then maybe I will!" So I looked into it and signed up for the US Road Running's Halloween Half Marathon. Because this was my first virtual race sign up I decided to go for the whole kit and caboodle. At the cost of $24.99 you'll receive a 3.5 inch medal, bib and US Road Running Tech Shirt, I figured it couldn't hurt. After taxes it was $27 and by far the cheapest half marathon I have ever signed up for!

I had to take an up close photo of the medal because it is HUGE! And a very nice one too. I am pleasantly surprised by this. I didn't realize that the shirt would be a general US Road Running shirt, but that's ok. That's why they offer two entry levels, one with the shirt and one without. So if I decide to do this again I'll just be able to do the cheap entry of $16.99 and get a bib and medal.
The second virtual race that I am signed up for is through a local race series and they are doing their virtual race a little differently, I like it a little better actually. It's through the Mud & Chocolate trail races. You sign up, run, post your time and THEN they send you your race goodies. I signed up for this race because I wanted to do the actual race but it was sold out. Which is a bummer, however, this year they are offering a virtual race, this is the first year they are trying this out and it seems like they have a good idea! 
Ok, you may have figured it out... There is a lot of chocolate involved! Who doesn't like that! This race however, was not $27 it was $40. But their website and offerings are much greater. The Mud & Chocolate run it's also suggested that you run the 13.1 miles throughout the week. So you don't have to do it all at once, which is really neat. 
Now that I have introduced you to virtual racing, will you try it? Join me for some delicious chocolate in the Mud & Chocolate virtual race? Sounds like a yummy plan to me!
On a side note, I am trying to get into the Half Fanatics (half marathon running club) and virtual races do not count. I am ok with that and I get it. But bummer! Hopefully Sunday's run goes well and I get a happy finish! Then I will be able to submit my Biggest Loser Half and the Snohomish River Run results for entry!  

Keep on Running!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Nuun All Day!

One does not simply sit on the toilet after leg day