Running Groups!

Over the last couple of years I have been officially a part of a couple of running groups in the Seattle area. One of which I officially joined this week, Eastside Runners. Over the last couple of years I've never really been able to attend any of the group runs held by Eastside Runners or the other running group I'm a part of, the Seattle Green Lake Running Group. So a few weeks ago I decided I had enough of the "left out feeling" that I was getting from all of their happy social media. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and I created a run that will be starting in April on Friday mornings which I can attend. It is a little bit nerve-racking creating something new not knowing if anyone actually partake. But I must say I'm not doing this alone, Liz, a member of East Side runners and the Seattle Green Lake Running Group has graciously volunteered to help me co host the Friday morning runs. I'm very excited about this and can't wait to get it up and running. 
But that's not all! At least not in the running group department. This morning after many attempts over the last couple of years to get there, I finally made it to the Seattle Greenlake Running Group, Friday Lake Union Run. Which is extremely exciting! Liz and I trekked over there early this morning, departed at 5:20 to be exact, in order to be there by the 6 o'clock start time. I'm so glad that I was finally able to get myself to this run, which I know wouldn't have happened if Liz hadn't been there to motivate me to get out of bed at the butt crack of dawn.
We show up to find only one runner at the start, which made me a little nervous but I knew this was a famous run and that there be more people. We were chit chatting and I kid-you-not within 5 minutes probably 40 people showed up! It was really exciting to see so many people just piling in all at once to go for a run in the dark around Seattle. There was a quick hi and then we were off! It turns out I ended up running with my pacer from the Seattle half marathon! Which was really cool. One we made our six mile loop around Lake Union we then all headed to coffee at the Milstead.  But before we headed over for coffee everyone stopped and waited for us to finish. Then we all head over as a group. I found that to be very special, I don't think just any running group would wait for the rest to finish before going in enjoying their coffee. Overall the experience was completely wonderful I'm just sorry that I've been missing out for so long. I only hope that Liz and I can create something as wonderful for our Friday morning runs.
So if you get the chance to join a running group in your area I highly recommended it, on top of that do not skip out on the group runs! I feel like I've been missing out on a huge part of the running world, and I regret not going sooner. Running is known transitionally as a solo sport but you know what? It doesn't have to be. Go out, have fun and make new friends. 
Keep on Running!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Nuun All Day!

One does not simply sit on the toilet after leg day