Pacing Fail

In my last post I announced really awesome news that I was to be a race pacer for the Wenatchee Half Marathon. Unfortunately this did not come to pass, there were some difficulties in trying to find enough volunteers to be pacers. Because there wasn't enough volunteers they had to cancel the pacing part of the race. I had already paid for my hotel room for the race and as compensation for my efforts I was given free race entry. So I trekked over to Wenatchee and had a really great experience, despite the hiccup. 
I arrived in Wenatchee the day before the race to go to the race expo. Which I am really glad I did because my entry, along with two of my fellow runners in the Seattle Green Lake Running Groups, registrations were wrong. So I switched them over and enjoyed the expo.
I toured around town for a while, going from boutique shop to boutique shop and ended up at a Pub/Bar called McGlinn's and had probably the BEST salad of my life. It was soooo good! And I don't even like salad all the much! I bragged about it to just about everyone that would listen too after I arrived back home. Trust me, most people could have cared less that I was talking up a salad from a town three hours away. But it really was that good!
The day of the race, it could not have asked for a more beautiful day for a run. The race went along the Columbia River on a beautifully kept up trail. As a Redhead, I did earn many new freckles that day from the sun. 
The race start was small and they didn't really have much in the way of entertainment before the race. But the lineup was easy and fast when we started. The run continued in the old downtown for only about three blocks before we entered into the local parks. The trail that we were running and ran through several parks along the Columbia River and it was absolutely beautiful. We passed birdwatchers and even a rowing class along the way.
We ran over a pedestrian bridge and a major road bridge which was interesting because I was  able to see all the mountains and the river when I was on the bridges. Once I was on the other side of the river it was all park and they were even sand dunes which people were lying on as we ran by. That is something I sure didn't expect. 
At the end of the race you finished by crossing a covered foot bridge that lead right into the finish area. Which was Amazing! It was small but packed a huge punch! Tons of food, drinks, massages, music, and friendly faces. It was one of the best finish areas I have ever seen. They really went all out on this one. They even had gummy bears! 
I really can't say enough good things about this race I highly recommend it. The scenery, the town, the race support, the race expo and the after race is just off of phenomenal. Check this race out for sure!

http://www.teddriven.com/wenatchee-marathon/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Nuun All Day!

One does not simply sit on the toilet after leg day