Racing Weight

As you all know I am training for my first Ultra Marathon in April. The Frisco Railroad Run 50 Miler and I have been reading several Ultra Marathon Books in preparation including Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald
This book is so full of information that is can be a bit overwhelming. It's NOT a light read, however, it has some really good information in it and I highly recommend it if you are an endurance athlete of any form. Since January 1st I have been working on my Racing Weight. I have only lost 8 lbs thus far but like I said before I do keep record of my body measurements. I didn't take measurements the first week and I sure wish that I had! 
In the last two weeks I have gone down 5lbs (out of the 8lbs lost so far) and 6.25 inches over all! According to my scale which measures Weight, Fat %, Water %, Muscle % and Bone % I have dropped from 25.2% Body fat to 23.9% in just two weeks. It's not anywhere near my goal but is definitely a Huge change! 
I know I would be losing weight even faster if I was following the Racing Weight guide to the T but I just don't have time to cook lol. But I am definitely using the tips and advice from it. My favorite one is the Second Ingredient Rule: If any type of refined sugar (which includes brown rice syrup, brown sugar, corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, high fructose corn syrup, maltose, sucrose, and sugar) is listed as the first or second ingredient, it's a sweet don't eat it. This does not apply to fruit. 
You'll be shocked when you go grocery shopping and you use this rule, there are a lot of things that you wouldn't expect to have the first or second ingredient as a sugar. 
By Matt Fitzgerald
It's a super easy tip to follow, doesn't require memorizing tons of rules or facts. Just one little ol' rule and it goes a very long way! I hope this tidbit can inspire you to keep on going. And read the book if you want an extremely in depth look of how to get your body ready for the big race.
Have a great day! 
Keep on Running!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Nuun All Day!